Friday, November 21, 2008

The Great Unknowns of Life



With what is happening with the U.S. economy, I’m sure most people are afraid of the uncertainty of the situation. I’m sure if you think about it, you know someone who has been affected by it; maybe you. Your 401K portfolio maybe isn’t as rich as it was just 6 months ago. My 401K plan is worth $5,000 less than last quarter. When Teresa told me that, my reaction was, “Oh, OK.” Our family has been affected by this economic situation because Teresa was laid-off from her job. She has a great severance package which includes 6 months pay (not everyone got that who was laid-off). God is providing for us. If you have been paying attention to the news the last week and the 3 auto companies asking for money from Congress, you know that the possibility of more people will be affected by the issues with the economy. My dad is retired from one of these companies so he is watching this closely. The outcome can affect him and mom’s financially well being. Even with this going on, I can safely say, God is good and He is in control.

The reason I can say this is because of who my foundation is resting on. According to Matthew 7:24-26, when the storms of life come (and these storms come) I’m secure because my life is established on The True Rock (Jesus Christ). This foundation is the strongest a person can have. Another promise we have is that we are not alone when the uncertainty comes out way. The last part of the Great Commission is “I am with you always, even to the end of the [church] age (Matthew 28:20b)." We are never alone when we walk through this life. As a child of the Most High, we are taken care of. My sister’s, Wanda, favorite poem is “Foot Prints in the Sand.” In short, the poem lets us know that when live is good, Jesus is walking beside us and when life gets rough, Jesus carries us through the hardship and heartache that life can throw our way.

Life can be hard. In fact, Jesus never said that life will be easy; even for the Christian. The greatest part of being a child of God is that we don’t go through the hardships alone. The children of this world deal with the hardships of life alone. We may not be able to see around the corner of life, but we know the One who can see all things. He sees what we cannot see, and He knows that outcome. In this uncertain time in America, trust in the unchangeableness of God and rest on His promises. He will never fail you.

No comments: