Monday, January 19, 2009

Feedback

The man I see as being my first and main mentor (the main person God used in my early ministry life) sent me his feedback regarding the list of questions I will ask when a church asks to talk with me about being their pastor. His feedback was:

“If you intend to turn an older church around you will want to look and listen for some humility among the leadership and people. If they are proud God will resist them and let them die. You don’t want to do palliative care for a dying congregation.”

I see this as very sound advice. I do not want to waste God’s time in pastoring a church not willing to change in order to reach the lost. I feel there is a time God sets up a church to exist to reach the people He wants the body to reach, and there is a time that God is finished using a particular body and allows it to die off. I do not want to wastes God’s time so I see the list of questions as a great tool. Of course, God can always move and change the hearts of a body to want to go from being self-centered to community/lost centered or being inward focused to being outward focused.. After all, it is really about honoring and serving God and not any tradition a church has had for any amount of time.

That’s why I intend to walk slowing with my Father and follow His lead so when He opens the door to lead His bride, I will know it’s Him leading me and not me.

No comments: