Thursday, January 15, 2009

Questions



I’ve been thinking and praying more these days on what God truly wants from me. In what way does He want to use me? In the last 3 years, God has taken me on a journey that I could not have imagined just a year before it started. I have a desire (I feel it’s a God given desire) to pastor a church. I want to lead a body of believers to grow beyond their limitations and start seeing the world as God sees it. I want to equip them to “get over themselves” and reach out to their community; to show love to the loveless as Christ did.

I know that with any calling, God equips the person to accomplish the task He has called them. With that said, I feel the journey I have been on the last 3 years has been one of learning and being stretched. The different people God has put in my path and the different tests of my faith have changed the man I was just 3 years ago. The start of this journey was something only God could have orchestrated. I can see His fingerprints throughout. The next step (I feel) will be an open door to lead a church. I know that as I’ve talked with several churches I need to develop questions to ask them to see if the door is opening for Teresa and me. Through reading the books “The Interventionist” and “Comeback Churches: How 300 Churches Turned Around and Yours Can, Too” I see the importance of creating a list of questions in order to see if God is opening a door. Below is a list of questions I intend to ask any church who has asked Teresa and me to visit with them. I’m sure as I pray and read more and talk with fellow church leaders, this list will grow.

1.In the church’s history, how many pastors have you had and what is the average tenure of a pastor?
2.What do you think the duty (based on scripture) of the pastor is?
3.What functions do you want me to lead, and what areas do you think I should be hands-off?
4.What do you think the duty (based on scripture) of the deacons is?
5.What do you think the function (based on scripture) of the church is?
6.What do you think the responsibility of the church member is to the function of the church?
7.What are you willing to change (i.e. style of worship, décor, etc) to reach the lost?
8.What aren’t you willing to change?

No comments: