Monday, January 26, 2009

Slow But Learning

I’ve been in the ministry since I was 16 years old (age I was called to full-time ministry). I’ve worked as stuff member and as a lay-leader at 4 churches during these years. Over these years I would have to say God has taught me a lot (through His Word and through action). I remember when I was in my early 20’s I read a lot on birth order and personality make-up (both through secular and Christian authors). I remember one book told you your personality make-up and the Bible person that was the same as you. I remember reading that Simon Peter and I have the same personality. When you’re twenty-something that’s cool, but as you grow older it tends to bite you in the rear. Always removing my foot from my mouth got old. I’ve learned to be slow to speak and long in the thinking before opening my mouth. Teresa (my wife) has been a great help.

The last 3 years, we have been working at Common Ground Community Church and been planning to start a new church but God has redirected us the last few months. Now, we are looking at taking a smaller church and grow it. I’ve talked with a couple of churches here in VA and no doors have opened. It’s all good because I know we are on God’s timetable and he will open the door in His time.

Earlier this month, I had a church call me from MO. It was weird to have a church call me. This is a small country church that wants a bi-vocational pastor. I don’t mind doing bi-vocational (done it most of my ministry career). There is on big problem; I’m not a country preacher. I grew up in the suburbs. I sent them my resume and Teresa and I prayed. They asked to hear me preach and I gave them the web address of Common Ground website (there is a recorded sermon I preach in December). I never thought they would call me back but one of the search committee members called yesterday. They want to hear another sermon and asked if I can mail one to them; small church couldn’t afford airfare to fly us out. I told them OK but I had a weird feeling. I know I didn’t want to go and I could tell Teresa isn’t interested in moving. I told myself that if I send it and if it’s God’s will the door will open and then we will go and if not nothing will come of it. It sounded all nice and spiritual. At 3 am this morning, I woke up. I couldn’t get back to sleep. I knew what I had to do so after talking with Teresa, I e-mailed the point of contact and said thank you but no thank you (put nicer than that).

I had come to my senses. I want to pastor a church. I want to equip a body of Chris-followers to grow and reach out to their community. I was willing to try and kick in a door where I know that we (Teresa and I) would not fit. Teresa and I had this conversation last week when we were driving around where Teresa spoke to my heart. God used Teresa to say just the right think to me about looking for a church. Her words still ring in my ears; “God will open the right door at the right time. We just need to wait for Him to open it.” Now that will preach. I can be slow but I do learn. We are waiting on God. We are at the best place we can be.

No comments: