Thursday, February 28, 2008

Proper Way to Use Ministry


In keeping with the theme of what God has taught me the last 10 years, I have to write about the proper way churches should use ministry.

There is a phrase “Do not use people to build a ministry; use the ministry to build people.” I’ve seen both sides of this phrase played out in front of my eyes. A church that builds the ministry on the shoulders and backs of their volunteers have a high turn over rate because people tend to burn out and/or leave because they don’t feel loved; they feel used. The churches that follow the Ephesians 4:11-12 principle of equipping people to lead tends to use ministry to build their people. The people tend to feel loved and encouraged.

I feel God has had me be bi-vocational the last 10 years so can I relate to the lay-leaders or volunteers who give up their free time to serve in the church. The paid staff seems to (from my experience) either don’t consider the time management situation of their volunteers or feel the volunteers should work around the church’s schedule. People working 40 to 60 hour work weeks want to use their gifts to serve their God. They serve the best they can with their time. I think it awesome when I see men and women who I know have plates that are twice as full as the church staff step up and serve. At the same time, I do feel the church’s paid staff need to manage their time for family. It’s a fine line for a church to have healthy church staff and volunteers. If the church uses ministry to build their people, things will run smoother longer.

This is just my opinion. If you have a different one, feel free to make a comment.

No comments: