Friday, February 01, 2008

The Survey


A few days ago, I put together a sociology survey. I will use this to get to know the people of Carrollton/Isle of Wright County. There are a total of 7 questions. I handed a few out at work. Must of the returned surveys are what I expected, but one was placed on my desk when I came in this morning. It was the last one handed out. My co-worker who handed this in took her time to really answer these questions. Her answers to the last 3 questions speak volumes. She is a single mother who is very much into her son’s (who is around 6 or 7 years old) life. About 4 years ago, her husband wanted to be single and left her. She is raising her son on her own.

This is her background, and here are her answers to questions 4 through 7:

Question 4: What social issues concern you?
Answer: Cost of houses (over inflated), the overcrowded schools, gang violence, and the cost of groceries and of gas.
Question 5: What’s your religious background?
Answer: Raised as a Baptist; currently a non-believer.
Question 6: Do you currently attend a church?
Answer: No.
Question 7: If you answered no to question 6, would you mind sharing your reasons?
Answer: I no longer believe there is a God who rewards the faithful and punishes sinners. I believe there is only life, and in life bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. It’s not fair but “that’s life.”

My first reaction was sadness because I could see the hurt and loneliness in these answers. There is a Savior who knows what it’s like to suffer loneliness and pain. He was abandon and rejected. He can answer all her needs and desires. Pray for this co-worker. I will reach out to her as I am able. We are called to love and point people to the One who knows the pains of this world, and gave His life for us.

No comments: