Thursday, January 07, 2010

Approaching 40



With the arrival of Ripley in November, I’m actually thinking about my 40th birthday coming up on Monday, January 11. I’ve always thought age is just a number so I’m not going out of my mind thinking about the day. Since the lifespan for men is 70 – 72 years, I’ve been middle-aged for 5 years now. The people who are 50 years old and say that they are middle-aged are delusional; unless they will live to 100. I’m alright being middle-aged.

I’m not freaking out about becoming 40 because I am at the best physical shape of my life. In the last 2 years, God has enabled me to get in great shape. I exercise 5 to 6 days a week and watch my diet. I weighted myself on Monday (first time in 6 months) and am at 182 pounds. I’ve been able ran in 8 running races ranging from 5K to half marathons with one adventure race. I finished all in good times. My goal for my 40th year of life is to run a full marathon (26.2 miles) and do a short triathlon (swimming, biking, and running race).

I think that some men who are approach this age realize that they haven’t accomplished their dreams or they see that their spouse have let them self go. They snap and want a new life; a life they couldn’t afford in their 20’s. They leave the out of shape old looking wife and go for the younger model not realizing that they don’t look all that great because they have let them self go, too. They overcompensate by buying a sport car and change their clothes; some even get back into shape. Our society calls this phenomenon “Mid-age Crisis.” I call it retardation.

I try not to look back at my failures; too many. I do try to learn from my past so I do not redo the mistakes but I do not dwell on my past. I see my past as lessons learned. I am who I am because of my past; good, bad, or indifferent. I can not change it so why dwell on it. Part of who I am today is all my experiences; both good and bad. You can’t turn back time so why bother with it.

Being 40 is no big deal to me. Every year I live is more I get to do for God. I do not live my life for myself (at least try not to). I live it to bring glory to God the Father. I live it to love and care for Teresa. I live it to show Ripley an example of a loving father so she can see God as a loving father. I may not make $100,000 plus a year, have a million dollar home, a $50,000 plus car, but I do have the love of a beautiful wife, a healthy little girl, a family and friends who love me, a church who allows me to teach them the Bible, and most importantly a loving God Who took my sin on Himself and died in my place; to give me life eternal. Turning 40 will be just fine.

Thank you Father for another year to give back to you.

1 comment:

Ditto News said...

You have had your middle age crisis, it was the nights sitting at the hospital with the little one and that is all the crisis you need (buy the sportscar and give it to your sis-in-law..HA) 40 is just another year!