Monday, January 04, 2010

Beware of Assumptions



It’s easy to assume someone is a Christian because they faithfully attend church. Just because a person attends church doesn’t mean they are a Christian. Church attendance doesn’t matter; it’s what a person does with Christ that matters. Christianity is not a religion; it’s a relationship with Jesus Christ.

I’ve made two assumptions regarding people and their faith journey. The first one was when I was leading a college aged singles’ group back in the 1990’s. A young man started attending with another young man whom I’ve know since he was in elementary school. The visitor seemed nice and came every week; he was more faithful then the friend who invited him. One Sunday after he had been attending for a few months, he asked me a question after class. As we talked, I felt the Holy Spirit want me to ask this young man the question. I asked, “DJ (not his name), have you ever accepted Jesus as your Savior.” He looked at me and said, “No.” After that moment, I showed how he could know for certain that he was going to heaven after he died. The Holy Spirit had been convicting him, but he didn’t know how to respond. I assumed because of his friendship and his attendance that he was saved. I was wrong.

The second one is with my cousin. She has been attending churches throughout her life. I just thought she was saved until this past Sunday. She has all the information; she just needs to make a decision. She asked me what does it really means to be saved. I shared with her what she needs to do and gave her Bible passages to read to confirm what I told her. I told her that this is something between her and God. It was something I said in my sermon that the Holy Spirit used that made her want to ask me the question. I will follow up with her later this week see where she is in her journey.

Never assume that a person is saved because they attend church; you maybe a person who has attended church all your life. Church attendance means nothing in the eyes of God; it’s what you have done with the Person of Jesus Christ that matters in God’s eyes. When you accepted what Christ did for us on the cross, you are sealed for all time in the blood of Jesus Christ (the sacrificial Lamb of Israel). Jesus had to die in our place because we are unable to do anything of worth to gain acceptance in God’s eyes. The ticket to heaven was paid for in blood; Jesus Christ’s blood. Where are you in this journey? If you have questions, feel free to post a comment and I’ll get back with you.

Romans10:13 “for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."’

2 comments:

Ditto News said...

Question: regarding Romans10:13 “for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."’ Does this count if done in your heart, in the privacy of your own domain, or must it be a presentation in a building with people you may or may not know wanting to hug and shake your hand afterward? Can you be a silent server and still reap the rewards of those professing in large numbers?

Tom Thomasson said...

If you call on Jesus Christ to save you from your sin it doesn't matter if you are alone on the street corner, in your living room, or in the bathroom. If you accept what Jesus did on the cross to pay for your sin debt, then you are saved. The product of your salvation is that you should want to share this with those you know who are saved so they can rejoice with you. Baptism has nothing to do with salvation but you should be baptized because it is the picture of what Christ did. If you have further questions, feel free to call me at 757-537-9209 or e-mail me ththomasson@hotmail.com