Friday, January 29, 2010

Priorities



Today I was able to surprise Teresa. It was Ripley’s 2 month check up (that means shots), and Teresa wasn’t looking forward to it. The appointment was scheduled for 9am, and I work 20 minutes from the pediatrician’s office. At 8:15, I noticed that I would be finished with my work early so I took off at 8:30 telling my boss that I will be back (love being salary). My boss knew the reason and she thought it was a nice idea. I beat Teresa to the office and waited. She was surprised and thankful. Ripley did well; she cried when stuck with the needles (two shots) but I held her until she stopped and then I carried her to the car. Of course, Ripley fell fast asleep as I carried her to the car. I know that moments like that will go by fast and I want to make sure Ripley knows that daddy is here for her; and I want to make sure Teresa is reminded that she is high on my priority list as well.

As Christians, there is an order of living that is to help give you a fulfilled life. Its call the J.O.Y. Principle; Jesus (God) first, then Other people, and lastly Yourself. There is a similar one for ministry; God, family, and then church body (or business). If a minister goes by this, he will have a healthy family life that will bring glory to God. But the sad thing is that many tend to put church business before their families or worse yet, the church body feels they should have higher priority then the pastor’s family. That is just wrong. I’ve seen too many times the result to the family of a pastor who has put the family in last place; it’s not a pretty site.

I truly wanted to make an impacted in both of my ladies’ day today. With the new responsibilities at Common Ground and the huge task at hand, there will be times that I have to miss being with them. I will not miss events if I can help it, but it may happen. My first priority is to limit that as much as possible. If people get their feelings hurt because my family came first, they will have to get over it. For me, God comes before everything, and then Teresa and Ripley, and lastly the body of Common Ground and/or any other church I may have the honor of leading in the future.

No comments: