Thursday, December 03, 2009

A Father's Request



Every since Teresa found out she was pregnant with Ripley she has had a concern on heart. Her concern is that something will happen to me. Teresa’s father was killed in a coal mining accident when she was 4 years old and her mom had to care for her and her older brother alone for several years. Her grandfather died due to his time in the mines so she saw two women lose their men. That will play with a person’s head. I’m doing what I can to stay healthy. I watch my diet, I exercise almost every day, and I drive the best I can. I promise Teresa that she is stuck with me until God is done with me.

I believe that God has placed an expiration date on all mankind. When we are born, the clock starts counting down. We do not know when we will die, but we know we will die. Life is a fatal disease; 10 out of 10 don’t get out alive. I live life to the extreme at times; I’ve whitewater rafted in Montana, I climbed rock faces, I run in adventure races, and I even jumped out of an airplane at 30,000 feet. I know that nothing will happen to me until God is done with me.

As I grow older, I look forward to seeing my God face to face. I look forward to talking with my Savior. I love to worship Him now with the songs we have and to thank Him daily for His goodness. I long for heaven. With the birth of Ripley last week, I know that my time here is even more needed. I know that God will take me when He is done but I had to ask Him for more time.

On Monday, I talked with my Heavenly Father and asked for 60 more years on this earth. That will make me 99 years old. I asked only so I can be here to show Ripley what a loving father looks like so she will know how loving our Heavenly Father is. I want to me here to encourage Teresa as she grows in her journey with God. I long for heaven, but I know I am needed here. If God chooses not to allow me 60 more years then that is His call. I have no rights; I’m His servant. If I live, I live to bring Him glory. And if I am taken home, then He will be glorified in that as well.

No comments: