Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Wondering Why



I received an e-mail today that made me think about what Teresa and I went through only 2 weeks ago with Ripley. It’s hard to believe it’s only been 2 weeks since we found out about Ripley’s intestinal malrotation and the surgery to fix it. Not once did I ask God why this was going on with Ripley. I think Teresa asked why and I know for sure my sister was asking why but I never did. I’m not sure why I didn’t; I just had a sense of peace that God would carry Ripley through the surgery and fully recover and He did just that.

The foresaid e-mail was a forward from a friend of mind. She has been forwarding e-mails from missionaries to Mongolia about their sick daughter. I prayed as I received them. The last e-mail was of the family coming back to the U.S. to seek medical care. The newest e-mail hit very close to home for me and made me wonder why for the first time. The e-mail read;

“Dear Friends and Family,

We so much appreciate your prayers, thoughts, cards, concern… This past week has been very difficult for Lydia and I. On Monday, we met with the doctors and told them that we had decided not to do chemotherapy. It was a rough meeting with the doctors strongly pressing their case for chemotherapy. However, they have accepted our decision and Esther comes home today (12.23.09). We will do a small amount of traveling to visit relatives over the next month or so and then be in Springfield, MO until Esther goes home. The doctors have given 2 – 6 months, but no one really knows for sure. Once we are done with the traveling (we want to visit family in Mississippi, Kentucky, and Indiana), we will have pediatric hospice involved. Our doctor in Bolivar and hospice will oversee Esther’s care. We appreciate your prayers as we go through this very difficult time.”


This message left me wondering why God carried my little girl through her ordeal, and not to heal this child. I know there is no reason that I need to know but it has left me to wonder what God has planned for Ripley. Was the malrotation about teaching Teresa and/or me a faith lesson? Or was it to reach one of our loved ones His love and show yes that God is in control. I may never know the answer to this question. I trust that God knows what He is doing and he will carry this family through the situation with their daughter and the aftermath of her going “home.”

Our children are not ours; they are gifts from God Himself. Commit them to His care, and He will take care of them. Never withhold your children from his prefect will for their lives. Whatever plans you may have for them pales compared to his plans for them. Give them back to Him.

Daily, I thank God for healing Ripley. The last if the surgical tape has fallen off the there is just a faint pink line that will just about disappear one day. I’m awestruck with God when I think about what He has done for my little girl. With the e-mail today, I’m felt wondering why He did what He did for Ripley and what He has planned for this family.

Please join me in praying for comfort and peace for the Elliott family; missionaries to Mongolia through the Baptist Bible Fellowship Intl.

No comments: