Sunday, December 20, 2009

Levels of Commitment


With the snow hitting the east coast, many places had 12 inches plus and it shut down everything. We here in the south-side of Hampton Roads had a dusting of snow; less than an inch. I wrote a comment on FaceBook this morning, “We actually got a bit of snow here in the south-side of Hampton Roads. Not much but enough to cover cars. It makes me wonder how many will allow this to keep them from attending church?” We had maybe 45 people in total (including children) in church today. I called a gentleman to see if he will make it to the men’s class. He told me that the family would not come to church today. I didn’t ask why because I was in shock. Another gentleman from the class called the same man after me and was told the same thing and he asked why. The answer wasn’t a sound one. I guess he felt convicted from our calls and he and his family made it to church. I told him that God used us to convict him. His response was, “That’s alright Tom.” I looked at him and said, “I wasn’t apologizing for it; just making a statement.”

I’m not trying to sound judgmental, but we have levels of commitment. Some Christ-followers don’t see church attendance as important. Jerry Bridges comments in an article on commitment, “As I have watched the parade of people through our church, and other churches. I wonder why so few commit themselves to a local body of believers in a significant way. Many sit and soak and do little else, and they flee at the first sign of trouble or pressure. They fail to become involved or to give; the priority for corporate worship falls far down on the list. They criticize all that is wrong with a specific local congregation. . . What can we do besides comment or complain? We need to accept the challenge to commit ourselves to responsible membership.”

The local church is the first level of commitment outside of our personal relationship with Jesus Christ. The local church with all its imperfections is still the Lord’s major avenue through which he accomplishes His work. The church gathers for worship, teaching and fellowship to gain power to carry out the ministry as each member lives, works, and shares God in the world.

Hebrews 10: 24-25
And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,
not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some,


Church attendance and participation ranks with visiting Grandpa’s grave, calling your college roommate and viewing the new wing of the art museum. You have every intention of doing it unless of course something else important comes up. In far too many lives, church attendance seems to be put in last place. Commitment to church is deeper than just attendance to the worship services, but it does begin there.

Whatever you are passionate about, you put all your strength toward. I have a feeling a lot of Christ-followers aren’t as passionate (or committed) to church as our fellow brothers and sisters were in the first century. Just my thoughts.

No comments: