Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ladd’s Procedure



CHKD called and confirmed that we are to check in at 6:30 am on Friday with a start for the operation is set to begin at 8:30 am. Dr. Robert Kelly will be doing the Ladd’s procedure to correct the malrotation. In Ladd's procedure, the abdomen is opened. The small intestines are seen first and appear to hide the colon. The entire intestinal mass is delivered out of the abdomen. The intestinal mass is rotated to reduce the volvulus. The intestines are re-positioned in the abdomen. Dr. Kelly will remove the appendix since it is on the wrong side and this will help avoid any possible appendicitis.

Dr. Kelly said that Ripley could be in the hospital from 3 to 5 days depending on her recovery. Dollar Tree has been great to me. My bosses are making sure I get the days off I need and my Director and Manager bought Teresa and me dinner for next week; they gave me $25 gift card to Pizza Hut. I think that is awesome because they didn’t have to do it.

It may sound really weird to write this, but we are just so blessed. Granted, our 18 day old baby needs surgery but we could have gone forever until the intestinal track could have been blocked and this planned surgery needed to be an emergency surgery. It was only because we had a concern with Ripley’s lack of bowel movements we tested for a block that showed the malrotation. God gave us one of the best pediatric surgeons to do this procedure. God is making sure everything is taken care of; my parents will be here and Teresa’s parents will be here so help will be here.

This past week, our church family has really loved on us with dinners all week. My fellow Elders have called and prayed with us. All in all, we are truly blessed. Our God is awesome!

No comments: